Plan ahead: P-Tube downtime scheduled for this weekend
Please be advised that a total P-Tube System shutdown of stations in all Michigan Medicine buildings is scheduled from 11 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 9 until 11 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 11.
During this time, the network infrastructure will be upgraded to improve system performance. There is a plan in place to have runners provide support during the outage to minimize impact on patient care.
Departments that use P-Tube for sending or receiving routine and stat supplies, medications, blood and specimens to and from inpatient units will be managing those functions as noted below:
- The blood bank has arranged for dedicated runners to deliver blood products and pick up products needing to be returned. Individuals may also pick up the product at the blood bank window (bring patient’s name and MRN). Call 6-6888 if you have any questions.
- Massive transfusion packs and trauma packs can be picked up and returned by the patient care area per routine protocols.
- Pathology and specimen transporters will be picking up all routine and stat specimens:
- UH specimen pickups: A-C units every half hour, D units every 15 minutes
- AES & CES: Continuous sweeps between the POC lab and main lab.
- C&W & CVC specimen pickups: Every 15 minutes from centrally defined locations per floor. (Maps will be provided)
- ORs, radiology & procedure area specimen pickups: Call 6-6777 for pickup
- If you have any questions, call 6-6777
- Pharmacy will deliver all routine and stat meds to the patient’s medication cassette, medication cubby or designated Omnicell bin. Scheduled pharmacy runs will occur hourly with a goal of delivering all routine medications within 90 minutes of order placement. Stat delivery will occur as needed between the routine hourly runs.
Please plan ahead (allowing at least 1-2 hours) to obtain refills on products such as ICU drips or other PRN medications. Routine requests for these items should be submitted as a Message to Pharmacy via MiChart.
All stat refill requests should be communicated via a phone call to your unit’s designated pharmacy satellite.
Materiel Services will staff appropriately to hand-deliver all routine and stat supplies. Stats will be handled immediately while non-stat will be delivered within an hour. If you have any questions or issues, please call 6-6077 or page 2574.
Thank you for your patience during the upcoming outage!