Employees honored with Learning Catalyst Awards
Learning Management (formerly known as MLearning), a unit in the Education and Training division of Health Information Technology & Services, recently presented the fourth annual Learning Catalyst Awards.
The awards recognize individuals and teams who excel in staff education or teaching and who foster learning for Michigan Medicine faculty and staff. The individual and team award recipients were honored for their passion, excellence, creativity and innovation in support of staff member education, as demonstrated through their knowledge, skills and attitudes.
This year, the Outstanding Individual Educator award went to Brenda Eakin, an instructional designer at the Michigan Institute for Clinical & Health Research (MICHR), who actively engages in staff and faculty education and training. This category recognizes excellence, innovation and passion for helping faculty and staff learn.
Eakin was chosen for, among other things, her reputation as a champion of quality education for more than 15 years and the commitment with which she strives to deliver high-quality and meaningful educational activities that benefit staff members.
Honored as the Outstanding Manager in Support of Education was Gina Bergmooser, a nurse manager with the U-M Transplant Center. She demonstrates her passion through learning support and continuously fostering excellence and innovation in staff and faculty personal and professional development.
Bergmooser was chosen for the honor due to her boundless enthusiasm, the high value she places on staff education and her remarkable ability to listen and acknowledge each person’s concerns.
The Michigan Medicine Perioperative Educational Team was recognized with the Outstanding Educational Team Award. The team was selected for its success in integrating six different departments — each with individual curricula — to a single team and a four-week curriculum. In addition, the team developed a new orientation process and evaluation.
Team members include:
- Valerie Marsh, perioperative education specialist/education supervisor and adjunct clinical instructor in the Nursing – Post-anesthesia Care Unit
- Jillian Bowers, educational nurse coordinator, ambulatory sites–East Ann Arbor Health Center
- Annette Jacoby, lab coordinator, Operating Room Training Center
- Cary Kalowick, perioperative ENC, University Hospital Operating Room (UHOR)
- Kim Klink, ENC, C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital Operating Room
- Paula Marentay, ENC, UHOR
- Rexanne Sprague, perioperative ENC, UHOR
- Laura Stahl, ENC, C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital OR
- Deb Totzkay, ENC, Frankel Cardiovascular Center Operating Room.
Sonya Jacobs, chief organizational learning officer, delivered the opening remarks at the awards ceremony and announced the award recipients.
To learn more about the many others who were recognized for their achievements in education, go to the MLearning support website. And watch for the fifth annual Learning Catalyst Awards call for nominations, coming January 2018!
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.