Deadline approaching: Nominate faculty, staff for 2017 Dean’s Awards
The Medical School’s faculty and staff have helped U-M reach great heights, including a top-five ranking among primary care institutions, a top-11 showing among research schools and a top-10 recipient of National Institutes of Health funding.
To honor the best and brightest faculty and staff, the Office of the Executive Vice President for Medical Affairs/Dean is accepting nominations for the 2017 Dean’s Awards Program.
The deadline for nominations for the following faculty awards — which carry a $5,000 discretionary academic support prize in each category — is May 1:
- Education Award
- Lifetime Achievement Award in Medical Education: Recognizes faculty with a lifetime of achievement in all types of education: undergraduate medical education, graduate medical education, and doctoral and postdoctoral education in research.
- Research Awards
- Basic Science Research Award: Recognizes a scientist, or group of scientists, who make outstanding contributions to the basic biomedical research of the Medical School.
- Clinical and Health Services Research Award: Recognizes faculty who make outstanding contributions in the areas of clinical and translational research and health services research.
- Distinguished Faculty Lectureship Award in Biomedical Research: Recognizes faculty who make extraordinary national and international contributions as a research leader with pivotal discoveries that have wide-ranging impact for the advancement of scientific knowledge.
- Clinical Care Award
- Outstanding Clinician Award: Recognizes exemplary performance of a practicing clinician, and can include those with outstanding service as medical program or ambulatory care unit directors, developers of clinical care management programs or new care models, and innovations in institutional quality improvement initiatives.
- Innovation Award
- Innovation and Commercialization Award: Recognizes a faculty member, or group of faculty members, who have developed a new research method, technology or innovative service that will radically improve or transform patient health.
- Service Award
- Community Service Award: Recognizes faculty who make outstanding contributions to the community — locally, nationally or globally.
The deadline for nominations for the following staff awards — which carry a $1,500 top prize in each category — is June 2:
- The Administrator of the Year award is conferred upon a staff member who demonstrates superb leadership in the management of other staff, as well as exceptional operational excellence and stewardship of Medical School resources. This award is open to all staff members in the managerial job role.
- The Professional Staff of the Year award is conferred upon a staff member who demonstrates excellence in his/her work, contributes to a positive working environment and is a strong team contributor (where appropriate). This award is open to all staff members in the professional job role who receive a monthly paycheck.
- The Support Staff of the Year award is conferred upon a staff member who demonstrates excellence in his/her work, contributes to a positive working environment and is mindful of his/her service to the Medical School. This award is open to staff members classified in the professional job role who receive a bi-weekly paycheck.
In addition to selecting winners in each staff category, the EVPMA/Dean’s Office will make up to three honorable mention awards of $500 in each category.
The winners will be announced in the fall, and they will receive their awards at the annual Dean’s Awards Dinner.