Recognition month wrap-up: Shining Star awards
To wrap up recognition month, Headlines is highlighting the UMHS first quarter 2016 Shining Star award recipients.
The Shining Star award is a component of the organization’s overall employee recognition program. Recipients are chosen quarterly and receive a pin, trophy, and cash prize of $100. Eligible faculty and staff members who make significant contributions to the mission, vision and goals of the institution and meet basic program criteria can be nominated:
Service – exhibits consistent commitment to exceptional customer service standards.
Teamwork – demonstrates the ability to work with others in achieving the institution’s mission and goals.
Achievement – contributes high-performance levels to unit operations such as improving procedures, morale or effectiveness.
Respect – reflects the organization’s commitment to diversity.
Congratulations to the following employees on earning this significant achievement and thank you for setting standards of excellence that all of us can aspire to.
Sennettra Gilliam, patient services associate, UMH neurology clinic
Nomination form highlights
- Service example: Recently, Sennettra stayed late to help schedule every patient on the waiting list efficiently and expeditiously. Her schedule coordination strategy helped to provide exceptional patient service. While it was a long night, she never complained and offered to start making calls first thing in the morning, making a difference in our patient’s lives.
- Teamwork example: Sennettra has delineated herself as the “go-to” person not only among faculty and staff within the department, but across the organization. She is dependable, reliable and professional. Her recent promotion is well deserved!
- Achievement example: In addition to her new role of supervising the department’s clerical staff and ensuring the clinic is operating at full capacity, Sennettra is also responsible for training. She demonstrates ingenuity and fresh ideas that elevate our level of service to patients and providers. She continuously develops strategies to improve patient flow, optimize visits, and promote unity among the team.
- Respect example: On occasion, we’ll interact with challenging and demanding patients, especially among those experiencing chronic pain. Sennettra demonstrates empathy and unparalleled kindness and compassion. No matter what, she treats everyone with respect, including her colleagues.
Jason Grove, physician assistant, radiology
Nomination form highlights
- Service example: Jason possesses exceptional qualities such as patience, attentiveness, and the ability to communicate effectively. These characteristics have allowed him to establish good rapport with patients and their families, as well as his colleagues.
- Teamwork example: A true team player, Jason invites feedback and always maintains an open mind. He empowers his team to provide the best care possible for our patients.
- Achievement example: Recently, Jason became the lead PA for IR, which was well deserved. He continuously looks for ways to help the unit run more efficiently, and always has a positive attitude!
- Respect example: Jason defines respect through his behavior. He often goes above the call of duty and isn’t afraid to roll up his sleeves and work late alongside colleagues to help them with their cases. Because of this, his coworkers, as well as his patients, highly respect him.
For more information about the Shining Star award, or to nominate someone, visit http://www.med.umich.edu/i/recognition/awards/shiningstar.htm.