GreenIT is the UMHS power management program for CoreImage workstations. One of the easiest ways to conserve energy is to turn computers off while they’re not in use. To make that even easier, the MCIT EDEM (Enterprise Device Engineering and Management) team manages these power settings for you.
EDEM shuts systems down at the end of business, powers them on in the middle of the night for maintenance, shuts them down again, and then boots them up for work in the morning. In addition, all desktop monitors (except for display boards that have to remain on all the time) are set to begin power save after 15 minutes of inactivity. While these changes have been in effect since Earth Day 2009, there are always things you can do to minimize your energy consumption.
Here are some Dos and Don’ts to improve your energy-saving computing practices:
• DO: At the end of your work day, log off your computer or shut it down through the operating system by selecting Shut down from the Start menu.
• DO: If you have a laptop and leave it in the docking station at the end of your work day, shut it down through the operating system by selecting Shut down from the Start menu.
• DO: Turn off all peripheral devices when not in use (monitors, speakers, printers, scanners, etc.).
• DO: Consider using a power strip to control peripheral devices.
• DON’T: Don’t put your desktop workstation into standby or hibernate mode.
• DON’T: To prevent accidental shut down, don’t plug a computer CPU into a power strip.
• NEVER: Don’t turn off your equipment by holding down the power button until it shuts off or by turning off the button on a power strip, EXCEPT as a last resort if your workstation completely freezes up.
GreenIT not only helps reduce our impact on the environment but it has the additional benefit of significant annual operational cost savings. A savings of over $2 million was estimated in 2010 when there were just over 10,000 CoreImage devices in the environment. Now, there are close to 30,000!
MCIT is committed to sustainable operations and the proper management of energy saving. To ensure this, CoreImage users cannot make any changes to power management on their own workstations. Changing settings manually can interrupt application processes happening in the background and adversely impact workflow. If alternate power settings are required or desired, please submit a service request by contacting the MCIT Service Desk at 734-936-8000.
Specific areas that function 24 hours a day, seven days a week, such as the OR, pathology and radiology labs, and hospital inpatient care units have pre-authorized exceptions to power management and special timeout settings. For operating system efficiency, however, even these 7 x 24 machines will reboot once a week, typically late Sunday night into early Monday morning. If you have a special business process which requires a power managed workstation to run all night and/or all weekend, you may set an “ad hoc deferral” that will disable shutdowns and reboots for up to seven days. For instructions on how to manage this, contact the MCIT Service Desk at 734-936-8000.
Don’t forget to shut off lights when you leave your office at night too!