View this checklist to learn how you can help conserve energy at UMHS during your holidays, vacations or extended absences.
In your personal space:
• Turn off your computer, monitor, speakers, printer and other computer equipment.
• Unplug your unused devices, including phone chargers, AC power adapters, radios, space heaters and other small electronics. (If you use a power strip, simply turn it off.)
• Turn off all lights.
• Adjust your shades. Drop and tilt your blinds to manage heat loss.
In common areas:
The last person to leave should:
• Turn off copiers.
• Unplug paper shredders, televisions, coffeemakers, radios, microwave ovens and other small appliances. In general, refrigerators should be left on.
• Turn off lights in conference rooms, storage areas and restrooms.
• Close and secure all windows and doors.
• Dial down thermostats to 60 degrees in the office, classrooms, lab rooms and other areas not being used. However, make sure your building will be kept above 40 degrees if cold weather is anticipated.
• Switch off all equipment that is not in use, such as water baths, ovens, empty incubators, lasers, vacuum pumps, shakers, chilled centrifuges, ovens, GC’s, etc.
• Close fume hood sashes. This is critical! A single fume hood running 24 hours can use as much energy as a single family home. Hoods not in action use should always have their sashes closed.
Please see the energy conservation flier and share this information with staff in your area.
This information has been adapted from the UCDavis Office Energy Savings Checklist.
Web Address: http://www.med.umich.edu/u/hsh/ConserveEnergy.pdf